SR-22 insurance requirements can leave you with significant insurance costs. The need to file an SR-22 certificate means that, for some reason, the Department of Motor Vehicles feels you are a high risk driver. To protect other drivers on the road, it places a requirement on your auto insurance provider to verify that you have liability insurance and that you maintain it. But, this requirement leads to higher costs for car insurance.
Can You Save Money?
The good news is there are various ways that you can reduce how much you have to pay out of pocket for auto insurance even if you have to have an SR-22 insurance plan. The key here is to know what to expect. These tips can help you:
- Never let your plan expire. Doing this can lead to a significantly higher cost than you are already paying.
- Do shop around. Not all companies charge the high fees associated with SR-22 coverage. It is a good idea to be upfront about your requirement for this coverage – it may impact your costs.
- Maintain good driving habits. Simply avoid being charged with any additional driving violations. Doing this can help you to show you’ve learned your lesson and you are on your way to reducing risks.
- Bundle your insurance products. You may be able to save money on all insurance costs by bundling your auto insurance alongside home or renters insurance.
- Maintain the right insurance level and deductible for you. If your vehicle is not worth much, you may not need comprehensive coverage on it. And, if you can afford a slightly higher deductible, this can also help you to save on your auto insurance costs.
Don’t Take The Easy Route!
SR-22 insurance isn’t something you can overlook. If you are required to maintain it, do so. However, if you work closely with your car insurance provider, there may be ways to help you reduce how much you have to pay for this type of coverage. And, during the three years or so that you may be required to maintain this insurance, avoid further violations and work to prove you are no longer a high risk driver. This way, you’ll qualify for lower rates down the road.
If you are looking to save money on your current Raleigh auto insurance policy, start off with us. All it takes is a phone call to find out what you could be saving.