North Carolinians motorists are required to have automobile insurance in order to drive legally on the state’s roads. Those within the Raleigh area are on some of the busiest highways in North Carolina, and as such it’s important to not just ensure that you’re meeting regulatory laws, but that you also keep your vehicle as protected as possible.
But that can begin to get expensive over time, and insurance rates vary greatly depending on numerous factors. Understanding how to keep your rates low and get the best possible prices on auto insurance is something that every motorist should take the time to do. One consideration that many will start with is to simply get minimum coverage. Under NC law you’ll have to have the following:
- $30,000 bodily injury
- $60,00 total bodily injury
- $25,000 property damage
If those limits are met you’ll be okay under NC law in terms of what is required. However, remember that while your premiums are lower that this minimum coverage won’t give you a lot of protection for yourself or your family.
Because of this, it’s worth looking into additional factors that can help lower your rates. Minimum coverage is certainly an option, but if you still want peace of mind and more protection it’s worth considering going further. And it’s still possible to keep your rates lower while getting the protection you really want. Here are some things to consider.
- Drive Safe – Your driving record has a tremendous impact on your insurance rates. Past accidents and even past speeding or reckless driving tickets can increase rates dramatically.
- Pay On Time – If you’ve missed insurance payments in the past or let your coverage lapse, insurance companies could increase your rates due to your higher risks.
- Drive Less – Raleigh has excellent mass transit, and using it periodically can reduce your annual mileage. Annual mileage increases your rates.
- Bundle! – Good insurance can come in bundles. If you want to reduce rates, consider bundling things like auto and home insurance or auto and motorcycle insurance. Rates vary, but in most situations package bundles will drop your rates and help you save.
There are also other factors that can impact your rates – things like your marital status or your age, for example. But taking the tips above to heart and remembering them when you start shopping for coverage is a good way to start moving towards the results that you’re looking for when trying to lower your rates. Contact us to learn more about how we can get you lower insurance rates and great protection for your automobile.