Renter’s insurance is important for anyone who lives in a rental property. Whether you are the only one in the building, or one of a bunch of other families, there is a chance that something unexpected may happen at any time. Keep yourself covered by getting a policy and understanding the terms of your policy. Here are some examples of things that a renter’s insurance policy might cover.
- Fire – Any damage caused by fire will be covered by your renter’s insurance. When you are renting a place, a fire in your building is not always your fault. A neighbor might leave a candle next to a curtain or have a grease fire and your whole apartment complex can go up in flames. This can be completely devastating. If you have renter’s insurance though, you can recoup most of your losses through your policy.
- Lightning – If lightning strikes your building, there are a number of things that could go wrong. Renter’s insurance will cover any property damage caused by a lightning strike to your building.
- Hail – Hail can come out of nowhere and damage cars, patio furniture, the outside of your building and more. It can come with a storm, or just out of nowhere.
- Wind Damage – Winds are another damaging force that can come out of nowhere. It can tear siding off your building, break windows, cause tree limbs to fall, and break outdoor items. If you have a place that is near the water, wind gusts can come off of coastal storms and cause some serious damage. Protect yourself against the damage before it happens.
- Riot – If you live in a city, a riot is something you may not have been planning for. They pop up unexpectedly, and can cause a lot of damage. If there is a riot in your area, your renter’s insurance may cover the damage caused by others. Check with your policy to be certain.
- Explosion – If there is some sort of explosion in your building or nearby that causes damage, your renter’s insurance will cover it.
- Smoke – Smoke damage can cause a place to become unlivable. If the apartment below or above you has a small fire, the smoke can come into your unit and cause damage to walls, vents, ductwork and more. Sometimes the damage isn’t visible and needs to be inspected.
- Theft – If your apartment gets broken into and you lose something important, you’ll want to be covered with renter’s insurance. Be sure your important and expensive items are covered under your policy. It is usually best to list out your expensive items like computers, TVs, and jewelry to make sure that they will be properly replaced if stolen or damaged. Check with your policyholder to see how they do it.
- Vandalism – Vandalism can cause serious damage to an apartment. An angry tenant can decide to spray paint walls, or to break important parts of a building at any time. Or a complete group of strangers might decide to break into your apartment and cause damage. Don’t let your apartment go uncovered.
- Water Damage – If a water heater bursts, or the bathtub above you leaks, there is going to be water damage. Your personal property could become damaged, and without renter’s insurance you are up a creek.
- Electrical Surge – An electrical surge can be caused by different factors such as a lightening strike or a malfunction. If the surge goes through your whole building, it can cause damage to your electronic items such as cell phones, TVs, entertainment devices, laptops, tablets and more.
Keep yourself covered by getting a North Carolina renter’s insurance policy. There is a lot that could go wrong when you are sharing walls with other people, so don’t leave yourself open to disaster. Contact Amistad Insurance today so we can help you put a policy together for your rental.